I was thirteen minutes late to class. I slid in at the table where my group was, trying not to fumble too much with my stuff. As it was, I dropped my Dr. Pepper, picked it up, and promptly dropped it again.
“You’re late,” Owen said.
“No shit, Sherlock,” I said.
“Why don’t you tell her something she doesn’t know,” Adia said at the same time.
We looked at each other. Owen coughed.
Tristan stood up. “Guys?”
“Yeah?” Adia said.
“We should probably start working.”
“Who put you in charge?” Adia said. It wasn’t a challenge or a threat. She sounded like she really wanted to know why Tristan was bossing us around.
He shrugged.
“Exactly,” Adia said. “This is a democratic society. We should have votes.”
“I agree,” Owen said.
“Lissy?” Adia said.
I shrugged.
“Silent Stephanie?”
“I’m not silent,” Stephanie muttered.
“I said silent, not mute. You can speak if you want to.”
“Whatever.” Stephanie folded her arms and looked away.
“So, what?” Tristan said. “You want to be in charge?”
“Maybe,” Adia said.
“Owen?” Tristan said.
Owen shrugged. “I guess I could put it on my résumé. But I’m more of a hands-on guy, you know?”
“Nobody cares,” Adia said, throwing her head back and groaning.
We all looked at Stephanie next.
“Why are you looking at me?” she said. “I don’t want to be in charge.”
“Really?” Adia said dryly. “Because you’re so bossy and overpowering.”
Stephanie muttered something under her breath.
And then they all looked at me.
“Man, I just draw things,” I said. “I don’t want to direct anything.”
“Yeah, about that,” Owen said. “Androgyny is great,” he said. “It’s fine. Really, it is. But this thing . . . these characters need more direction, do you know what I’m saying?”
“Well, if you’re so good at it, why don’t you draw them?” I said. After all, who had just landed a deal to illustrate famous children’s books, him or me? And I smiled. Goddamn! My drawings were going to be looked at by children all over the country! I sucked my lips in so I wouldn’t scream out loud.
“Burn,” Adia said.
Labels: january brings few faces
