January brings few faces.
happy to meet you in these places where January brings few faces
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
disclaimer

All stories by Cady.
All rights reserved.
© 2012.

about me

My name is Cady, and I wrote these stories all by myself.

  • home
  • profile
  • personal blog

    archives

  • January Brings Few Faces

  • One-Shots

    credits
    skin by afterbirth,
    hosted by blogspot
  • 29

    “David, I really don’t—” Max began.

    “‘Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets’,” David sang. His voice was surprisingly resonant. He turned to me. “I want that painting.”

    “Well, I—”

    “I’m serious. What do I have to do to get it?”

    “I—”

    He sighed theatrically. “You’re already hired, so relax.”

    “I am?” I looked over at Max. He was actually the one in charge, right?

    “She’s not paying attention,” David said to Max and scoffed. “Artists.”

    Max sighed. “Miss Kenway, you’re hired.”

    “Glory be!” said David, punctuating this with an exaggerated eye roll and a sarcastic table-slap.

    I cleared my throat. “Well, thank you,” I said, feeling completely lost. I had no idea what to do with myself now. I felt like I’d grown an extra set of arms, or something.

    “The painting, Alice in Wonderland,” David said.

    “It’s hanging in a bakery on Shortz Street,” I said.

    David appeared to consider this. “Shortz Street,” he said, leaning back in his chair to stare at the ceiling. “Shortz. Is that off Winston?”

    “I think so.”

    “Shortz Street.” He tapped the table idly, still giving the ceiling the Sistine Chapel treatment. “Yes. I know where that is.” He sat up straight. “In a bakery, you say?”

    “Delia’s Bakery.”

    He nodded. “Okay,” he said. “Give me that pen, Max.”

    “What pen?” Max didn’t have a pen.

    “I don’t know, Max, any pen will do. For Christ’s sake—”

    I discreetly slid a pen out of my bag and across the table to David Charles. Seeing that I was an artist and all, it surprised me that he didn’t think to ask me first. Whatever.

    David snatched it up, scribbled something on his wrist, and flicked the pen back across the table to me. It fell right into my lap.

    “Bulls-eye!” he shouted, standing up. “Well, my dears, it’s been a pleasure, as always. Alice Cooper, thank you, I’ll see you soon. Max, call me.”

    “Of course,” Max said.

    “He’s going to go over the business part with you,” David said, backing away towards the door. “It’s tediously boring bullshit, but don’t be scared. He may look like a bulldog but he doesn’t bite.”

    “Yes, pleasure as always,” Max snapped. “Get out of this office.”

    David winked at me as he ducked out of the room and slammed the door behind him.


    part 28 | part 30

    Labels:

    3 Comments:

    All that paperwork..loved the Lola line.

    By Blogger ellie, at March 18, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

    Its interesting what people say around you..as if you aren't there. I like the way this started.

    By Blogger Holly, at March 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM  

    I don't think I'd like to be around those two for long periods of time.

    By Blogger L, at March 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

    Post a Comment


    All posts by Cady. © 2012. All rights reserved.