January brings few faces.
happy to meet you in these places where January brings few faces
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
disclaimer

All stories by Cady.
All rights reserved.
© 2012.

about me

My name is Cady, and I wrote these stories all by myself.

  • home
  • profile
  • personal blog

    archives

  • January Brings Few Faces

  • One-Shots

    credits
    skin by afterbirth,
    hosted by blogspot
  • 32

    Tristan clapped again and started reorganizing. I was going to re-draw the characters and, later on, work on the set with Stephanie. Adia and Owen were going to re-edit the script. Stephanie was in charge of the equipment. Tristan was self-appointed director and editor, it seemed. All in all, I was surprised at him. I didn’t think he had leadership qualities, and then I felt bad for misjudging him. He was a pretty nice kid, after all.

    “HEY,” Adia shouted at me as we were leaving class. “LISSY.”

    I was almost to the door, and I turned around reluctantly. “. . . Yeah?”

    “Want to go get lunch?”

    “It’s kind of late for lunch.”

    “Okay, dinner then.”

    “Too early for dinner.”

    Okay,” she snapped, “how about food in general? Are you up for some food?”

    I shrugged. “Sure.”

    We started to walk over to the cafeteria.

    “So,” Adia said, “what are you majoring in?”

    “Art.”

    “Art. That’s it?”

    I shrugged and wobbled my head a little. “Well, I’m taking pretty much every arts course you can take here. Except for, like, theater and stuff. And film.”

    “Oh.” She paused a moment, then snickered. “So you’re going to have a bachelor of arts . . . in art.”

    I had never actually thought of it like that. “Pretty much.”

    “That’s funny.”

    “What are you majoring in?”

    “Oh, you know. Stuff.”

    “I didn’t know you could get a B.A. in ‘stuff’.”

    Adia laughed, hard. “Well, I’ve changed my major, like, five times.”

    “Wow.”

    She shrugged. “Yeah. Right now I’m majoring in English.”

    That sounded really, really, ridiculously boring. But I didn’t say so. “That’s nice.”

    She gave me a Mona Lisa smile. “You think it sucks,” she said.

    “I didn’t say—”

    She waved me off. “I was a psychology major there for a little bit, so I know.”

    “Um . . . okay.” I didn’t think it actually worked that way, but who was I to judge?

    “I don’t know,” she went on. “It’s kind of boring. But it’s not hard.”

    “Oh.” Well, I didn’t really think it would be hard, since it was extremely likely that Adia had been speaking and writing English her entire life. I mean, after 20 years, you would expect at least mild proficiency in the language.

    Wait, why do native English speakers get English degrees again?


    part 31 | part 33

    Labels:

    7 Comments:

    hahahaa..

    Loved the conversation.

    By Blogger ellie, at March 24, 2011 at 9:59 AM  

    Interesting conversation. I liked that Mona Lisa smile part..too.

    By Blogger ivy, at March 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

    Interesting what you said about English as a major.

    By Blogger Holly, at March 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

    Great last question.

    By Blogger Unknown, at March 24, 2011 at 11:13 PM  

    Because it's there and it's easy. Sort of.

    By Blogger L, at March 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM  

    Always something to fall back on..but for what..to be a TA..some day.

    By Blogger Cait, at March 26, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

    I really liked the comparison between the 2 subjects.

    By Blogger ivy, at March 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM  

    Post a Comment


    All posts by Cady. © 2012. All rights reserved.