“And you’re bitching about me being a teenage girl?” I said.
“Okay, now that was just uncalled-for," he said.
“Well, you invited it.”
He nodded. “Yes. Yes, I did.”
I was stunned. “Excuse me?”
“Yes. And now that we’ve gotten our first argument out of the way, working together ought to be easy. Now, I think we’ve wasted enough time just standing here. Shall we get going?” And he set off, without even checking to see if I was following him.
Almost dumbly, I chased after him. “What the hell is this quest supposed to be?”
“Well, we’ve already completed part of it.”
“That was part of the quest?”
“Sort of. I didn’t intend for it to happen quite the way it did, but que será, será.” He was nonchalant. Breezy, even.
“I can’t believe you manipulated me like that.”
“I didn’t manipulate you.”
“You totally just manipulated me.”
He stopped walking. “‘Totally’?” he said condescendingly. “Come now, Alice, I think we can think of a better word than that, what with our fabulous vocabulary.”
“Stop using the royal we,” I said.
He cocked his eyebrow again.
“You’re just being condescending on purpose,” I continued.
“I am not condescending.”
“Right,” I said. “And the pope isn’t Catholic.”
He gave me a double-take. “And you think you’re not condescending?”
“No,” I said.
“Well, think again.”
Labels: january brings few faces
