January brings few faces.
happy to meet you in these places where January brings few faces
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
disclaimer

All stories by Cady.
All rights reserved.
© 2012.

about me

My name is Cady, and I wrote these stories all by myself.

  • home
  • profile
  • personal blog

    archives

  • January Brings Few Faces

  • One-Shots

    credits
    skin by afterbirth,
    hosted by blogspot
  • 46

    “That’s . . .” I shook my head. “That’s the most clichéd thing I’ve ever heard.”

    “You think that’s a cliché?”

    “It’s like you don’t watch movies,” I said. Either that or his entire personality was nothing but a patchwork quilt of characters from movies he’d watched.

    “I watch movies,” he said defensively.

    “Are you kidding?” I said. “It’s completely clichéd. But I guess it’s not entirely your fault — anything else you could have said (under the circumstances) would have been a cliché, too.”

    He opened his mouth, closed it, and opened it again. “So you’re not afraid of me.”

    I raised my eyebrows. “I never was afraid of you.” Put off by his bluntness and quirks, sure, but not afraid.

    He seemed slightly disappointed. He folded his arms. “So . . . what, then?”

    “I don’t know.” I shrugged, arms still folded. “The readers. The critics.” Children’s books had critics, right?

    He glared at me. “I wouldn’t expect an artist to be so cautious.” He said it like he was implying that I wasn’t actually an artist.

    I stood up, offended. “I’m young,” I snapped, “and I was raised by accountants.” Well, actually, my dad wasn’t an accountant anymore, he was the manager of a bank. Joy was still in accounting, though.

    But still.

    He cocked an eyebrow, Stephen Colbert-style. “You’re telling me that two accountants produced a kid that draws memories in brains?”

    “Produced,” I said, “like a car on an assembly line.”


    part 45 | part 47

    Labels:

    4 Comments:

    He's like the voice of reason in a very unreasonable way...

    By Blogger ivy, at May 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM  

    Great dialogue!

    By Blogger ellie, at May 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM  

    hahahaa..great last line!

    By Blogger Holly, at May 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM  

    No, her father was an accountant. Her mother, however, was a dictator.

    By Blogger L, at June 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM  

    Post a Comment


    All posts by Cady. © 2012. All rights reserved.