January brings few faces.
happy to meet you in these places where January brings few faces
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
disclaimer

All stories by Cady.
All rights reserved.
© 2012.

about me

My name is Cady, and I wrote these stories all by myself.

  • home
  • profile
  • personal blog

    archives

  • January Brings Few Faces

  • One-Shots

    credits
    skin by afterbirth,
    hosted by blogspot
  • 34

    When I got home, I called Jonah. He answered on the third ring.

    “Hey,” he said.

    “Hi,” I said, and felt awkward. I don’t usually feel awkward talking to Jonah. He’s really easy for me to talk to. But suddenly I felt shy. I’d only called to tell him that I got the job. I guess I could have waited until the morning to tell him . . . we were going to sit up on the roof again. But . . . I don’t know. I guess I didn’t want to wait. I wanted to tell him, except that I didn’t want to tell him, because it was such an awkward, arrogant thing to do.

    “What’s going on?” he said easily.

    I sucked my lips in and choked down a squeal. “I got the job,” I said as evenly as I could. And then I started laughing.

    “Oh my God,” he said. “You got the job?”

    “Yeah.” I stopped laughing, but I was smiling all over my face.

    “I knew you would,” he said.

    “You did?” I don’t know why I said that.

    “What . . .? Yes, I did. God, Lissy . . . you’re going to be famous, baby.”

    I laughed harder. “I’m not going to be famous,” I said.

    “Lissy,” he said in a come-now-let-us-reason-together tone. “Those books are pretty damn famous. People are going to know who you are.”

    All things considered, it wasn’t exactly on par with being a cast member of the latest hit reality TV show. Then again, it wasn’t a one-way ticket to anonymity, either.

    “I’m going to die,” I said, grinning.

    “What? You’re not going to die.”

    “Everybody dies,” I said flippantly. “No, it’s not like that . . . Jesus. It’s . . . I just can’t believe it. I mean, ME . . . I don’t even . . . I can’t exist anymore. I’m going to die.”

    He laughed, which made me start laughing again.

    “You want to go celebrate?” he said.

    “Celebrate?” I said.

    “Yeah.”

    “Celebrate like how?”

    “I don’t know. I just think we should do something.”

    “I didn’t celebrate when you got your job,” I said.

    “You got me cupcakes,” he said.

    Oh. Yeah. I had gotten him celebratory cupcakes. I’d forgotten about that. “Well, that’s nothing,” I said.

    “You know I like cupcakes.”

    “I like you,” I said.

    “I love you.”

    I sighed. “I love you.”

    “You want to do something?”

    “If you want.”

    “Well, no, if you want.”

    “Baby,” I said, “oh, God, I don’t know. Just . . . give me a donut on the roof tomorrow or something.”

    “How com—” he began, then stopped abruptly. “No, wait . . . I got it. I’ll see you in the morning.”


    part 33 | part 35

    Labels:

    7 Comments:

    This sounds intriguing!

    By Blogger ellie, at March 28, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

    So complicated but can't wait to see whats next..he says Love..she says Like..oh boy..

    By Blogger Unknown, at March 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM  

    I wonder what Jonah has in mind?

    By Blogger Unknown, at March 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM  

    I wonder what he has in mind?

    By Blogger ori, at March 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM  

    a very sweet conversation.

    By Blogger Holly, at March 29, 2011 at 6:02 PM  

    I'm glad he wants to do something.

    By Blogger ivy, at March 29, 2011 at 7:28 PM  

    Wait, what?

    By Blogger L, at March 31, 2011 at 12:38 AM  

    Post a Comment


    All posts by Cady. © 2012. All rights reserved.