January brings few faces.
happy to meet you in these places where January brings few faces
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
disclaimer

All stories by Cady.
All rights reserved.
© 2012.

about me

My name is Cady, and I wrote these stories all by myself.

  • home
  • profile
  • personal blog

    archives

  • January Brings Few Faces

  • One-Shots

    credits
    skin by afterbirth,
    hosted by blogspot
  • 26

    The weekend passed. I worked and reworked my mixed-media project. I got India to appraise my portfolio. I wondered what one was supposed to wear to one of these interviews. I spilled an entire can of turpentine all over my floor. Jonah accidentally burned me with a cigarette, the first time in our entire relationship that that had ever happened. I finished my original drawings of the characters for the digital media project and e-mailed them to the group. Tristan said he liked all of them except one. Owen said he couldn’t tell the genders of two of them, which was a serious obstacle to his idea of the story. Stephanie said she liked them, but they didn’t fit what she’d had in mind. Adia didn’t respond. I slept with Jonah in the metaphorical sense, but I only actually slept five hours.

    The publisher’s office smelled like leather and strawberries.

    “Lissy Kenway?” said the receptionist.

    I stood up, portfolio in hand, and approached her desk. “Yes?”

    “Mr. Sovanich will see you now.”

    “Okay.”

    “He’s in the conference room — down that way—” she pointed to her left “— and the fourth door on the right.

    “Thank you.”

    “Not a problem.”

    I ventured slowly down the hall, clutching my portfolio. I noticed my hands were getting sweaty. Ew. I wiped them on my skirt before knocking tentatively on the door.

    Nobody responded.

    I looked around. Was this the right door? Fourth door on the right. That’s what the receptionist had said, right? Right?

    I knocked again.

    “—heavens,” said a British accent. A tall, beefy man sighed as he glared down at me over his almost-cartoonishly small glasses. “Please tell me you’re Miss Kenway.”

    “I am.”

    “Thank heavens,” he said, sounding like the weight of the world had been lifted from his huge shoulders. “Please. Come in.” He stepped aside.


    part 25 | part 27

    Labels:

    6 Comments:

    Oh, I cold feel the antispation. My look, I would have gone to the wrong room. I lose sense of directions in situations like that.

    Its interesting how people react the way they do to something you make. I liked that part too.

    By Blogger Unknown, at March 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM  

    I am always my worst enemy in situations like this. I liked the feel of this.

    Thanks for the comment. Wasn't sure how it would come out. Funny, I have a friend who always debates what "evil" is. I tend to think it more of a disease sometimes..or how people get by..unfortunately.

    By Blogger ori, at March 12, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

    So many levels of her life evolving here. Aw, the tension. But in spite of it all, I can see her remain strong.

    By Blogger Holly, at March 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

    I like seeing her obstacles. I think this will really mean so much to her, more than those she works with or knows. Funny about the cigarette.

    By Blogger ellie, at March 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM  

    What an interesting smell..leather and strawberries. I'm looking forward to what's next.

    By Blogger Unknown, at March 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM  

    I giggled when I read about the beefy British man. I've always thought of skinny ones for some reason.

    By Blogger L, at March 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM  

    Post a Comment


    All posts by Cady. © 2012. All rights reserved.