January brings few faces.
happy to meet you in these places where January brings few faces
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
disclaimer

All stories by Cady.
All rights reserved.
© 2012.

about me

My name is Cady, and I wrote these stories all by myself.

  • home
  • profile
  • personal blog

    archives

  • January Brings Few Faces

  • One-Shots

    credits
    skin by afterbirth,
    hosted by blogspot
  • 21

    It was sometime after midnight when my dad came down and popped his head into my cave.

    “You’re still awake?” he said.

    “Looks like it,” I said. I was very carefully sprinkling silver glitter on a strip of the canvas of my mixed-media piece. I needed something that looked like rain, and that was the closest thing I could think of. One false move, and . . .

    He chuckled briefly. “Well,” he said. “It was so quiet down here, I didn’t think you were . . . I was just going to turn the light off.”

    “You can leave it on,” I said, pushing some stray glitter into place with my fingernail.

    Silence descended. I finished with the glitter. It looked okay, I guessed. I could figure it out better later, once I went away and came back with some perspective. I carefully put the lid back on the glitter and went over to wash my hands in the oversized sink. I jumped when I saw my dad was still standing on the landing. I’d thought he’d gone back upstairs.

    “Uh,” I said.

    “What did your mother want?”

    I wiped my hands on my jeans. “She gave me some mail.”

    “Mail?”

    “Yeah. Some of my mail had gotten sent over to her place.”

    “Oh.”

    “I got an issue of Cat Fancy,” I said. “Can you believe that?” I laughed incredulously as I thought about the ridiculousness of it.

    “Yeah,” he said. “I saw that in the trash this morning. I was wondering about that.” He was smiling.

    “How was your date?”

    He looked a little sheepish around the edges, but the inner part was proud and confident. “It went well.”

    “That’s good.” He liked her, whoever she was. I could tell.

    “About that . . .”

    I shook my head.

    “You’re not . . .?”

    “No.”

    I smiled in a humorless kind of way. He wanted to know if I was mad at him. I wasn’t. I was still surprised, but I wasn’t mad. I could understand, even, in a way. He didn’t want to deal with Joy any more than I did. But even so . . . well, no. I still wasn’t mad. Most of me didn’t even give half a damn. I was too weary to work up a real smile. But I wanted to convince him anyway.

    He seemed relieved and suspicious all at once. I guess he’d thought I was going to let him have it, demand to know why he hadn’t rescued me. Fuck it. Who cared?


    part 20 | part 22

    Labels:

    5 Comments:

    So true with Dad conversations. They always feel not quite what they should be..and you did that here, very well.

    Sometimes, we end up parenting the parents.

    By Blogger ellie, at March 2, 2011 at 7:39 AM  

    It was a sweet conversation between the 2, but I want him to be there for her.

    a book of short stories

    By Blogger ori, at March 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM  

    I do hope you keep the scene in. Just go with it. Sometimes, you need exercise in writing like that.

    By Blogger ellie, at March 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM  

    At least she's grown up about it. Not too many people are. .-.

    By Blogger L, at March 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM  

    I liked the fact that her Dad is..well, a guy too. But sometimes, timing is everything. Hopefully, he'll make it up to her. Not being there when her Mom..came by.

    By Blogger ivy, at March 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

    Post a Comment


    All posts by Cady. © 2012. All rights reserved.