January brings few faces.
happy to meet you in these places where January brings few faces
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
disclaimer

All stories by Cady.
All rights reserved.
© 2012.

about me

My name is Cady, and I wrote these stories all by myself.

  • home
  • profile
  • personal blog

    archives

  • January Brings Few Faces

  • One-Shots

    credits
    skin by afterbirth,
    hosted by blogspot
  • 8

    “Well, that’s terrific. I’m proud of you.” He grinned. “Blah-Blah Children’s Book by David Charles and Lissy Kenway.”

    “DAD.”

    “Alice Kenway?”

    “Never.”

    “Alice E. Kenway?”

    “DAD.” It was stupid, but I was just sitting there grinning all over my face. I sucked my lips in and tried to contain myself. “I haven’t even gotten the job.”

    He shrugged. “Well, once they see your work, I’m sure they’ll hire you.”

    I was surprised that I was touched by that. “Thanks.”

    “So,” he said. “Cereal at four p.m., huh? That’s original.”

    “It’s the college way.”

    “Is it now?”

    “No, what’s original is eating a tomato like a pear."

    “What?” he said, shrugging. “Tomatoes are fruit.”

    I snapped my fingers. “That’s true.”

    My dad washed his hands. “Okay,” he said, drying them on a plaid dishtowel. “See ya, kid.”

    “You’re leaving?”

    He tilted his head from side to side, smiling a little. “Well,” he said, dragging the “el” sound out, “I’ve got a date tonight.”

    “Oh.” I felt like he was expecting me to be excited, but I couldn’t muster up any enthusiasm beyond a perfunctory “That’s nice.”

    “Yeah.” He did the head-tilting thing again. “So what are you going to do, hang out with Jonah or something?”

    I shrugged.

    “Oh, no,” he said half-sarcastically. “Trouble in paradise?”

    “DAD.”

    He messed up my hair with his hand before he left the room.


    part 7 | part 9

    Labels:

    5 Comments:

    Love those kind of conversations. Especially like the 'college way' line.

    By Blogger ellie, at February 4, 2011 at 7:00 AM  

    Alice Kenway..NEVER.

    So playful. Liked that about the tomato too.

    By Blogger Unknown, at February 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM  

    Lizzy or Alice.

    So cool how names can convey so much of a character.

    Thanks for the note, too.

    By Blogger ivy, at February 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM  

    I like that her dad is around and they talk this way. A very unique friendship.

    By Blogger Cait, at February 5, 2011 at 9:29 AM  

    But a pineapple is a fruit too...right? <<

    By Blogger L, at February 9, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

    Post a Comment


    All posts by Cady. © 2012. All rights reserved.