January brings few faces.
happy to meet you in these places where January brings few faces
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
disclaimer

All stories by Cady.
All rights reserved.
© 2012.

about me

My name is Cady, and I wrote these stories all by myself.

  • home
  • profile
  • personal blog

    archives

  • January Brings Few Faces

  • One-Shots

    credits
    skin by afterbirth,
    hosted by blogspot
  • 14

    My dad didn’t come home that night. I think he came by very early in the morning just to pick up his briefcase and change his clothes.

    I slept fitfully and longer than I usually do. I really needed to go downtown and see Jonah, but he was in class. I didn’t have class until 11:15 a.m. I had hours to kill and nothing to do.

    I put a coat on and climbed up on the highest ledge of my dad’s back porch outside. I settled against the brick wall, squinting into the glare, feeling the cold seep through my clothes and into my skin. My mind drifted.
    ………………………

    “I have to move out,” I told Jonah.

    He didn’t say anything. A wisp of smoke slipped out his mouth and twisted itself up in the air before dissipating.

    It was around six a.m. Jonah and I were sitting on the roof of the abandoned building downtown. He was smoking. I was picking at my nails.

    I was tired and I wanted to sleep, but every time I closed my eyes, my head would pound with all the noise and chaos of my life. So I opened my eyes. And I couldn’t sleep.

    I spied a torn condom wrapper and kicked at it. Ew. I considered standing up, but I was too tired to move. It was a wonder I was even able to make it up here in the first place.

    The wind shifted, sending Jonah’s smoke in my direction. I don’t think he even noticed. I didn’t really care. I just sat there. And I thought about how this felt like our place. Like we were the only people who ever came up here. But we weren’t, I knew we weren’t, I had always known we weren’t. I guess it’s because I’d never seen anyone else up here. Then again, this wasn’t a very popular place early in the morning. This place was more popular with night people, and usually on the weekends.

    “So,” he said finally. “Is Joy kicking you out?”

    “No,” I said.

    “Oh.”

    “I just . . .” I shrugged. “I can’t stand it anymore.” My voice was flat. I knew what I was talking about, but I couldn’t feel it.

    Jonah nodded. “So what are you going to do?”

    “I don’t know yet.”

    “I see.”

    “I haven’t even told her I’m moving out yet.”

    “That’s probably a good idea.”


    part 13 | part 15

    Labels:

    7 Comments:

    Jonah is his true self in this scene. A sad yet exciting moment too. I liked it.

    By Blogger ellie, at February 16, 2011 at 7:46 AM  

    Is this a flashback? Because I thought she lived with her rude father who has no time for important phone calls from his daughter.



    Anyways. That's an awesome idea, I might add that in later. Luna gets dragged underwater by Isis' granddaughter or something. :)

    And...I think he is. He can fly and has a couple other powers. I just haven't figured them out yet.

    By Blogger L, at February 16, 2011 at 12:14 PM  

    Oh..I didn't get the flashback. She needs to have this conversation with him again.

    By Blogger Unknown, at February 16, 2011 at 6:43 PM  

    Alrighty then. I promise that sometime in this story I'll have Luna dragged underwater By Isis' granddaughter.


    I see. Well. I still hate Joy.

    By Blogger L, at February 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM  

    Flashbacks are hard..but I get the transition..my mind drifted..so...I do hope she and Jonah talk more.

    By Blogger Unknown, at February 16, 2011 at 11:42 PM  

    I'm hoping she gets back to Jonah. They need to talk some more.

    By Blogger ivy, at February 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM  

    It looks like Jonah is the only one she can count on now..and can she really trust him?

    By Blogger Cait, at February 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM  

    Post a Comment


    All posts by Cady. © 2012. All rights reserved.